Monday, May 25, 2009

Three Things I Miss Most about Winter at Home

  1. Double Paned Windows
  2. Central Heating
  3. INSULATION!!! 
It is amazing to me that a country, which still gets fairly cold (and WINDY) in the winter, has sufficed without these three things that most of the world takes for granite...
I came here thinking that winter wouldn't be too bad...that I would be totally able to survive if the average winter temperatures were only in the low to mid 40's. Yes, wind would be a factor...but I still didn't expect gale force winds on a daily basis (there have been warning the past 2 weeks of wind gusts of up over 100 kmh!!). But none the less, I am used to a VT winter and NZ winter could come no where close to what we deal with in Feb and March in VT!! 

This is still mostly true.....

Now I have not been so cold I am shivering always...most of the school building ACTUALLY have central heating, but since no one knows how to use this modern wonder, it is always too hot and I end up ALMOST falling asleep in most of my classes...I don't know how the lecturers deal with it! But anyways, NOT ONE flat in Everton Hall (the uni houseing I live in) has a.) INSULATION!! b.) central heating or c.) double paned windows!! 

So when living in a drafty old house with mice, 40 degrees is mighty cold...especially when it is colder inside the house than it is outside, which can happen most days it get sunny out, but that hasn't happened in a week or so now. I mean at least it keeps the rain and wind (kinda) out. I have taken to sleeping with my sleeping bag unzipped as my third blanket, which has been working out quite well. It also works wonderful as a nice blanket to snuggle under while watching tv. 

Now you are probably wondering HOW we heat our houses if these things are not present in our houses...right? Well, we use wonderful and efficient (not at all) modern wonders of electric heaters! BUT only when we absolutely MUST because our electricity bill skyrocketed (word of my flatmates, not mine) this month to NZ$150 higher than the month previous. (DUH!!) So I have taken to wearing at least three layers of clothing around my house ALWAYS, which I still feel should not be necessary INSIDE your house. 

To prove my point even more, I offer an example of a commercial trying to convince New Zealand residence about the necessity of insulation (why do they need to be convinced in the first place?!!?!?!?) 


So while all of you reading this blog are in the comforts of your own home, probably with the A/C or even Central air going, think of me FREEZING MY BUTT OFF on the other side of the world! :-)

Cheers,
~Marjorie

No comments:

Post a Comment