Monday, May 4, 2009

Power struggles, where I live, and what you all have been asking for

So I realized that I have taken the pictures but never posted of where I live. How silly of me! Here are a few shots, more to come on Picasa.


My Room:


In other news, I have yet to get a total grasp on NZ power. I still believe that when I plug something into the wall it should automatically turn on. And yet that is not always the case! Unlike the wonderful AC power in the states, NZ power is a little stronger and therefore need more safety precautions around it. Each outlet has a switch that turns the outlet on or off. This little fact confused the HELL out of me when I first moved in, becuase NOTHING would turn on. Well my roommates just laughed at me and mumbled stupid American, before explaining to me how to work the power. Well, you would think that I would understand this concept after four months of living with it. But NO I have not learned. Yesterday I was baffled for at least five minutes as to why my hairdryer wouldn't turn on. I was almost going to go out and buy a new one because it MUST HAVE died on me. Didn't I feel silly when I realized the outlet had just been accidentally switch off. Also, do you know how many times I have tried to boil water for 20 minutes, cursing the stove, only to realize that someone turned the outlet to the stove off. Same with the toaster. At least in the states we UNPLUG the toaster...nope here it's SOOOO much easier, just flip a switch! Well this weekend I cooked some coffee cake, and wondered for thrity minutes why the oven wasn't coming up to temperature. Then I realized it wasn't plugged in. Oh won't I be glad to come home where power is so much simpler. Just plug in and go!

But life upside down is going pretty well. I am learning that I should be very grateful I am doing the majority of my studies in the states. I don't think I could survive with this learning style much longer than a semester. It is all lecture no discussion. Which I assumed when I was coming here. HOWEVER they do TRY to have discussions in the tutorials that every paper I am taking scheduled. But no one here understands how to lead a discussion group, so really the tutorials are pretty useless. And for someone who is use to completely discussion based classes (thank you beaver) it is VERY painful to sit through. I will be looking forward to coming home for next semester...but not for leaving NZ. If I could stay here and just not go to school it would be AMAZING!!! Alas, I am too much of a perfectionist and therefore cannot just blow off all of my studies. Too bad! lol

And finally what you have been asking for: the link to my first installment of my pictures from break. These are the Australia pictures. South Island will hopefully be coming soon. But give me a break, uploading 100+ pictures takes a LONG time! lol

3 comments:

  1. Please tell me you didn't just claim that the US uses DC... We use 120V AC. I am saddened by you thinking otherwise. Over there, its probably the 240V that other places use, but line power is certainly not DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what you are talking about? If you look it says NZ power not DC or AC.....silly L you must have misread

    ReplyDelete