Thursday, April 2, 2009

Because Blogging is so much more fun...

It's 12:22am and I can't go to sleep. I have been working on a paper for 301 since I got back to my flat at 4pm....I have just finished. I should be working on the paper for 316 that is due Friday....but blogging is just so much more fun!

Life....well school work caught up with me in a major way this week. I have been having a lovely time in NZ so far: seeing the sights, experiencing the culture, and procrastinating all of my work like a professional. I tricked myself into thinking that I was keeping up with my work by reading some of the assigned chapters, and doing "research" for my two papers....but really, I was procrastinating like a fiend. Well, the realization hit on Sunday, when it was obvious that I was going to have to get my act together to finish a two papers by the end of the week. Another exciting twist is thrown into my life: I also have two papers due on Monday...an english take home exam (shouldn't be too difficult *she says confidently* it's only a close reading of a poem with a max of 1500 words) and a proposal for my second assignment in 301 (which I just realized I had to do today *YAY!!* and haven't really done much thinking on). But the fun twist...I am going on a Bulter event this weekend, and I can't miss it. I have been looking forward to the adventure weekend since I found out about the Butler program last fall, so I can't really back out now that would be awful!!! I will be taking my laptop with me (we are staying at a resort...so it will be fine), and I will make sure I work on my assignments for at least the three and a half hour ferry ride to and from the South Island....I also am convincing myself now that I will do some work at night.....but lets see if that really happens! lol

some other fun news.....we have mice. Yes, I will say/type it again...... we. have. mice.....IN OUR FLAT!!!! *insert lots of girly screaming and ewww-ing here* They were discovered in a pizza box, which was waiting to be recycled last night/this morning (1:30am). Since it was slightly past midnight, and the date was now 4/1, and my flattie who told me seems like he would be one for practicle jokes, I was a little hesitant to believe him at first. But dropping have been discovered, so in my horror, it was not an April Fools joke....(btw Happy Birthday Phil!) I have never really found a liking for mice...unlike one of my other flatties who wants to find a humane mouse trap. Better than the other trap option that was posed: fly paper that the mouse gets stuck on and then death by drowning...boys....
I don't care how we trap them....I just want them either dead so they can't torment me anymore......or so far away that they will never find this flat ever again (Australia would be preferable). I think it is all the years at the cottage, which created this fear of mice. Every year when we would open the cottage for the summer, I was petrified that one of the dead mice found would come back to life as soon as I got close to it, or that as I was moving things around in the attic (aka the 2nd floor and our bedrooms) that a whole fleet of mice (pack?.....whatever A LOT of mice) would come running out from behind something. Really, I just blame my over-active imagination for my hatred of mice. Just as another note, I have come to hate bats even more than mice, since I have realized that they are really just flying rodents....and what could be worse?!?!?! Thank God I haven't discovered any bats flying around the hills of Kelburn, Wellington.....do bats live in cities?

Don't worry too much about me being stressed, I have found plenty of time to give myself a little down time away from work (aka procrastinate like a champ). Yesterday, one of my roommates, one of her friends, and I went to a Salsa class. It was the 2nd class in the 3 class crash course for beginners series, but I wasnt too far behind since I have take a class or two before. It was HEAPS and heaps of fun and I am soooooooooo glad I went. I am totally going back next week, and then I want to ' see if I can take more classes when I get back from break. The teacher was really good, which is always important. She had asked a few guys who are intermediate students at the school to come to the class and help out, since I guess the guy to girl ratio the first week wasn't very good. Like most partner dance classes, we rotated partners every couple of sequences, and at the end I ended up with a really good intermediate guy. He was really nice, and actually was heaps of help in explaining how to follow....funny I know. But, in any dance class I have taken, I knew the most about dance and could pick it up faster, and so I ended up leading at times, but my biggest problem is actually anticipation of the steps. In a class, the teacher creates a short piece of choreography to follow so that you can understand the steps and motions....so, I anticipated.....BAD!!! with "real" dancing (as I have found out once or twice) I can't anticipate any steps, so I normally muck up my footwork and end up looking like a fool lol but now I know!! (I'm sure you all really care about this.....) Next week, the salsa program is renting out a local club for two nights and inviting the whole program to come and dance....so I am going to try and go, if only to just see some awesome dancing!

Even with all my work, I am really excited for this weekend. We are going down to the South Island for the weekend, where we will swim with dolphins, and explore the surrounding towns and bush. We leave Friday, at 5:15pm, arriving at our lodging by 9:25pm, at 10 we have a breifing (I KNOW!!! I have zero idea about what it will be on....hopefully it won't be too long, the schedule says that it is only a half hour long....so I hope its not too boring lol). The next day we have a full day of exploring the town of Portage and dolphin swimming. Sunday morning we are giving a little more time to explore Portage before its back on the ferry by 2:00, arriving back in Wellington by 5pm. See plenty of time to do my work! lol

ok it's now 1am and I am finally tired!! g'nite!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, these are some bloody *long* blog posts! And here I was feeling bad when I write long things from time to time, heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. the mice. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA.. make friends with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TO A MOUSE (On turning her up in her nest with the plough, November 1785) -- Robert Burns

    Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
    O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
    Thou need na start awa sae hasty
    Wi bickering brattle!
    I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
    Wi' murdering pattle.

    I'm truly sorry man's dominion
    Has broken Nature's social union,
    An' justifies that ill opinion
    Which makes thee startle
    At me, thy poor, earth born companion
    An' fellow mortal!

    I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
    What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
    A daimen icker in a thrave
    'S a sma' request;
    I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
    An' never miss't.

    Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
    It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!
    An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
    O' foggage green!
    An' bleak December's win's ensuin,
    Baith snell an' keen!

    Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,
    An' weary winter comin fast,
    An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
    Thou thought to dwell,
    Till crash! the cruel coulter past
    Out thro' thy cell.

    That wee bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
    Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
    Now thou's turned out, for a' thy trouble,
    But house or hald,
    To thole the winter's sleety dribble,
    An' cranreuch cauld.

    But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft agley,
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!

    Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
    The present only toucheth thee:
    But och! I backward cast my e'e,
    On prospects drear!
    An' forward, tho' I canna see,
    I guess an' fear!

    ReplyDelete