Thursday, June 4, 2009

YUMM!! and other things

So tonight I decided to step out of my cooking comfort zone and try a meat that I normally don't have, but that is SUPER cheep over here on the other side of the world--sheep! I mean lamb lol
My flatmate first gave me the idea about cooking the new meat. I usually stay away because it's not my favorite back home, but then again I don't really eat it heaps so I am actually finding a taste for it over here since it is so plentiful...and also super cheep. What I bought..only $7 bucks worth of meat, and I still have enough for another meal tomorrow!

I found a good recipe on Epicurious (where else? lol) which was Lamb, rosemary, and artichokes. It ended up being super easy and cooked fast so I will definitely have to remember that one! Ended up being DELICIOUS and somehow my first time cooking it was PERFECT...it ended up being a perfect medium rare :-) I was proud. 

So proud I took some pictures to show you guys! :-) 

White Plate...I'm turning into my father....
Perfect if I do say so Myself :-)

I do have to say the only bad part about this meal was the red wine. The wine is DELICIOUS! however my whole house only gets to be about 10C at its warmest at night, so the wine WAS TOO COLD! :-( 

In other news, I took a tour of Parlament yesterday and watched some of the proceedings after class, since we were already down there. It was all super interesting. I found it funny how informal it all seemed to me. There would be a question posed by a PM (parlament member) to the speaker; but then the person who was going to answer it would stand up immediatly, normally the speaker wouldn't even be able to introduce the person. Also any other PM can pose a supplement question to the initial question (which seem like they can be fairly far off topic but still vaguely connected). Really the questions just turned into lots of yelling at each other, it seemed like a playground argument at some points...but then again how mature are politicians really? I also went on a tour of the government buildings, which left much to be wanted...the tour guide was not amazing. But it was still nice to see inside the buildings. They are all really different, but really amazing architecture. The oldest building is the parliament library, which is the last of the original government building, the original parliament building burnt down in 1905 (I think). Then there is the parliament building, which is a gorgeous georgian building, but half way through the building project the government ran out of money, so never finished the building by leaving off its left wing. So now the left wing of the government buildings is the building known as the beehive (but no bees thank god lol). It is mostly offices and function spaces. 

I am also in the process of planning a weekend winery tour with the flatmates, at least one...I am going to try and coerce the other one lol. So that will be saturday. I think we won't do an organized tour, but tomorrow I was going to go down to a wine store down the street and ask what local wineries they would recommend (since the 2nd primary location for wineries is about 30 minutes outside the city). I am also looking into a 1/2 day adventure north to see some of the world outside of Wellington. so tonight is the study night..better get to it then!

Pictures of parliament here.

Cheers!
~Marjorie 

No comments:

Post a Comment